Did you lose a friend because of politics?

Articles about Parenting, Family Life, Homeschooling...
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Did you lose a friend because of politics?

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:35 pm

This political season has been a firestorm, to say the least. Now that we are mid-stream in Super Tuesdays it looks like it'll be either Hillary or Trump for President. And there are haters on both sides of the fence. Politics has been getting uglier and uglier in my short time as an adult. I don't know what it was like in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's or 80's, but people seem more verbal in their opinions and beliefs (whether or not they are truly factually accurate).

I've seen more and more posts lately of "open letter to my friends" on Facebook. These people in their letters are telling their friends that if they vote for Trump or Hillary then essentially, they cannot be friends with you anymore. I've seen people do this over lots of different topics, but it's seems to be more prolific in this heightened political season. Frankly, I'm disappointed to see that any friend of mine would stop being my friend because of whom I vote for. Seriously?! We have a right to choose as human beings and Citizens of the United States to vote the way we want, whether that be based on opinion, fact, morals, ethics or ANYTHING for that matter.

I have friends from EVERY walk of life and I choose to respect the choices that they make. That does not mean that I have to agree with them. I have friends that have been to jail and I have friends who never curse and are very religious/spiritual. I have friends from many countries, white collar, blue collar, asian, black, hispanic, muslim, etc, etc, etc. Each of us were raised with certain backgrounds and beliefs and we developed and strengthened those beliefs or even changed them as we grew older and wiser. We make choices that we think are the best for ourselves. Choices that align with what we believe in. Choices that we can stand behind. Clearly we all can make mistakes in those choices, but that is not for others to judge.

Look, I don't care who you vote for. I could really care less. I have reasons for why I feel that way. I have researched and studied much of our political system and I take nothing on the news as face value which is why I can say this to you. You can try to tell me who I need to vote for or why I should vote for one side or the other or even that if I vote a certain way that we can't be friends. If you choose to walk away from our friendship because I cast a ballot that didn't align with what YOU thought was right, then we were never meant to be friends in the first place. That saddens me, but I release you from my life with hope for the best. I will NEVER make a decision based on pressure from friends, family or business relationship that I don't feel is right. Would you?

Stop being so melodramatic and ending friendships that you truly valued over Trump and Hillary. That is so small and so petty. Instead embrace your differences, ask questions as to why someone would vote opposite you, offer insight, create a conversation and a dialogue. Understand and accept each others differences and points of view. We would be a much better human race if we did that.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Re: Did you lose a friend because of politics?

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:45 pm

I haven't seen this yet & I have some friends that are very strong in their support of the candidate they choose...and I am very set as to why I vote a certain way...but we haven't had any real issues come up.

If my friends post about their candidate and I don't agree, then I may say something as a reply. Or I may just scroll past and laugh at how wrong they are.

On FaceBook, I have friends that are for Bernie, Hillary, Trump and even a Cruz...but I would have drawn the line at Jeb! But, none have threatened anyone..yet!

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:02 pm

I've seen it quite a few times on both sides. I see it more predominantly though from the Hillary and Bernie supporters who hate Trump. The thing that really bugs me is that people are making their friendships conditional at this point. If you won't be my friend based on whomever I choose to vote for then you never valued my friendship in the first place. There is more to me than just a political vote. For the love of all that is holy or not.... people need to chill the eff out.

There is a lot of stuff on both sides that is funny to me! There are some genius marketing people who have come up with some great pieces that bring some levity to this whole circus. And there is another side of this whole thing too.... the marketing from some of these candidates has been impressive. Regardless of political points of view, business owners and marketers could learn a whole hell of a lot from this political season.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Brian D. Hawkins

Unread post by Brian D. Hawkins » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Anyone on social for or as a business should shy away from politics altogether, in my opinion. Regardless of which side they're on, they're alienating half of the population. (Unless you're Sheryl, then you're alienating 99% :lol: ) That can't be good for business.

So, If I have someone that insists I think on their level and they're preaching politics, religion, or any other topic that divides people and kills business, it's probably better to distance ourselves from that kind of person anyway.

That's my two cents.

I'm Brian, find me @HotBlogTips everywhere.

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:21 pm

I just saw someone else say something similar. They targeted their local community. They kindly expressed that being from such a small beach community, that businesses should be careful expressing their political views on social. It could potentially cost them business because they could turn off customers because of the vitriol they are posting on social.

Now I am totally ok with people standing up for what they believe in, but the extremists drive me effing nuts...

...Unless you're Sheryl.... <<<---- Best line ever!!

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com