Targeting to Build a Tribe

Articles about Sales, Advertising, Email
Sheryl Loch

Targeting to Build a Tribe

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:59 pm

“The best way to target people is from your own site, especially those people who are small enough to notice the traffic & bright enough to care.”

This is something I said to Lany in a chat while we were talking about someone mentioning that they saw incoming traffic to their site from RCUW.

We all have tried to target people on social site and sometimes we have luck getting noticed and sometimes…no one even knows we linked to them.

With so much automation on Twitter, it seems to be even harder to target people. We write a tweet, share the persons link and tag them…only to have it sit in a pile that is either lost or never gets opened.

While you may be happy to have shared their great content, you still haven’t gotten them to notice you as an influencer (or tribe leader).

If that person watches their Google Analytics, they may notice a bunch of hits, but it shows the referrer as Twitter/G+/FaceBook…no way for them to really notice it was YOU driving that traffic.

BUT, if you have shared their video or linked to their post from your own site, then the referrer in analytics is YOU! Trust me; if enough traffic comes from you…people will be checking you out.
Ok, not everyone will notice as some people have no clue how to check Google Analytics or YouTube analytics and there is the possibility that even if they do notice your traffic…some people think it is owed to them (arrogant asshats).

So who do you target?

Well, you have to be realistic…you have to know how much traffic you can send and then decide if that will be enough to show up and stand out in the analytics of that person.

If you target someone who gets 1 million hits a month to their site or Youtube channel, then you better be able to send more than a few hits from your site or you will be lost in the mix.

Whereas, if you target someone who gets 100,000 hits a month, your chances of being noticed as a referrer has just increased with the sending the same amount of traffic.

And as you get to smaller sites/channels, your chances of showing up increase, but you then weigh as to if that site/channel with less traffic is as valuable as a connection.

We all know that there are some small sites/channel that have AWESOME info that would blow larger more popular people away…if they were just seen more.

So while you are out looking to get noticed…figure out not only why you want that person to notice you, but also can you stand out in the masses?

Find some people in your niche that are your size who have worthy content and get their attention. Then the 2 of you can share traffic to build up to the time when you can get noticed by the bigger sites/channels.

I watch Gary Vaynerchuk videos and share them. I would probably have to share a bazzlion of them for him or his team to even notice me and by that time…they would probably have labeled me as a crazy stalker. Even though he may not notice me I still share his good content, I just don’t really expect him to ever partner up with me.

This is not a new concept; people have done it for years and know it works. Forum owns, bloggers and YouTubers with smaller audiences have seen how to build by sticking together and not trying to do it alone.

You get a few small YouTube channels together where they all go and watch, comment, like and share each other’s content and bam…before you know it…all the channels involved have grown greatly. The problem comes in when only some are watching, sharing, commenting…but those same people who don’t hold up their end still want to have the group do for them. You have to decide how much you are willing to do when it comes to takers.

So there is the quick version of how to build groups that will really help advance you to your goals.
Real short version – Target, connect, plan, act and GROW!
Target to build tribe Arrow 4 Target 1604197.png
Target to build tribe Arrow 4 Target 1604197.png (290.44 KiB) Viewed 2101 times

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: Targeting to Build a Tribe

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:05 am

Like you said....this is not new, but it is amazing to me how many people still don't apply it. Just posting on social isn't as powerful as it used to be. We have to find our tribe that we can promote and who will promote us. It's awesome to see content that we share here in the forum is starting to show up in people's anayltics. That makes me really happy. All the hard work that we have been putting into sharing other's content is really starting to payoff.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com