Golf Reporter suspended for using Periscope on the course

Topics you want to discuss or that are trending on social media.
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Golf Reporter suspended for using Periscope on the course

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:02 pm

Major brands, media companies and the like are either rejecting or embracing the new live streaming apps like Periscope and Meerkat. There's a lot of talk in marketing circles about reaching Millenials, but many brands are missing the "Millenial boat" by not staying current with new apps and trends.

Stephanie Wei's credentials were suspended by the PGA because she used Periscope to live stream a a practice round at the WGC-Cadillac Match Play Championship. She's one of the youngest reportes on the PGA Tour and in my opinion, the PGA is making a big mistake. This is an opportunity for brands, media and sports teams to embrace and show up in the social and media spaces where the Millenials and upcoming young consumers call home.

Read the full article here about Stephanie Wei and tell me your thoughts. Do you think companies are running scared?

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

MicheleJennae

Re: Golf Reporter suspended for using Periscope on the course

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:53 pm

WOW! I think Wei is on to something, and it is normal for this type of backlash when companies are resistant to the change that is happening all around them.

Periscope or technologies like it are not going away. Stephanie is definitely leading the "Wei" and the publicity probably won't hurt her.

That being said, the companies are also reacting to policies that are outdated perhaps and that need revisiting. It is normal for that to be an initial reaction. Time will tell if they learn to adapt or if they suffer for lack of flexibility.

Michele Jennae
Sowing Seeds of Serendipity

www.artuitivecoaching.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:34 pm

I agree Michele. Many companies and even our laws are outdated with the constant influx of new technologies. I believe people like Wei are going to blaze new paths with each new iteration of tech.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:08 am

Well my initial reaction was "BAD MOVE PGA" then I read the article...
now I am shaking my head! I get that they have rights to the video BUT she is right in the line that she is there to promote their event and they aren't paying her to do so~that is free advertising for them! So I would, as a business let her stream away! For goodness sakes, I give people a 10% discount, do giveaways and other promos for using social media and mentioning, liking, commenting and sharing in my store~"It's just good biz" (as Joe Dirt would say)

Also, how can they continue her suspension now that the golfers themselves are using Periscope on the course??? Are they going to suspend the golfers???

What bad form that their staff is now using her idea themselves! Shaking of head continues!!!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:15 pm

Jess, your comments made me laugh and say "Here Here!" It's insane. I hope that they revoke her suspension because now it is just ridiculous.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:52 am

I love it when life allows me to quote Joe Dirt, Lany!
Some favorites are "life's a garden, dig it" & "You gotta keep on keeping on"
Also, I love the music in the movie~great classic rock. I know they have done a Joe Dirt 2 so I have to find it. I believe it's on the app "Crackle" which I know nothing about yet.

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:44 am

You would get along well in my family. They LOVE Joe Dirt. I just roll my eyes, but my brothers will watch it a hundred times if they watch it once! LOL!

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:28 am

When I was getting divorced I had a lot of insomnia nights & I would throw this video in the VCR (yes in the VCR) and watch it. It calmed my brain and helped me sleep. I know strange~I bet I would fit right in!!!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:40 pm

I understand this to a degree. You can not give a company exclusive rights and then let others step in and "steal" the action.

These golfers also have rights to their swing, tee...that they can sell on their own "learn to golf like...".

Try coming to Las Vegas and record a concert or show that you go to...bet that would be fun. Might also get your phone or camera confiscated by big burly men in suites. They may also take your picture an post it for that location or pass it to all the properties they own and ban you from entering. Their house, their rules.

Heck, try to carry a bottle of water into an event that has food vendors...most won't let you because they have promised exclusive rights to vendors.

Go into an art gallery and take a pic of some art...post it online and say that it is free advertising...and that thinking may land you in court.

She was also on private property where she had to play by the rules of the property owner and the event contractor...she had credentials and didn't follow the guidelines of keeping the credentials. Every single person involved in the event is under some kind of contract (even the ticket holders have terms when purchased), take the risk of breaking the rules and pay the consequences.

Do I think they over reacted...yes, but it isn't my call. She opted to do it and now is shown what happens when you try to things against the rules.

Sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission, but that doesn't always work out so well.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Um Jess, I think you were born into the wrong family. Period...Plain and Simple.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:06 pm

I am picking up on that trend too Lany! I will be an honorary sister :)

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:12 pm

Sheryl, you're right. There are tons of factors, legalese and rules in place that prohibit this kind of stuff in a variety of formats. HBO had fits because people were Periscoping Game of Thrones. It's a big deal and a lot of companies are going to have to figure out where they stand fast because mobile live streaming is growing and these companies can't sue everyone. I think this is going to be interesting to sit back and watch.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com