Misusing Copyrighted Content Can Cost You

Sheryl Loch

Misusing Copyrighted Content Can Cost You

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:19 pm

What is a great way to lose money, have your website taken down, your YouTube channel taken down and cause your business to look a fool??? By not using your head and being a copyright thief!

Can I use this picture I found on Google?
Can I use this song I bought from iTunes?
Can I just copy and paste this article I found online?
NO, no, no, no, no, and $*^#(@* NO!
I am not sure how many times I have been ask these questions and ones that fall into the same area and the answer is always NO!

To many people have absolutely no clue about copyright laws when it comes to the internet. For some reason they think it is a free-for-all to steal other people work.

Many say that since the person posted it in public, then it is free to use…WTH????
That would mean that if your car is parked in public, then I can just take it and use it as my own? Cool thanks for the wheels!

Ooooo, they get pissy when you use an example like that because that would be stealing…you can’t just take things that others own…which is the same as stealing what others own even online!

Another common line of crap is that they bought a song on iTunes, so they own it and can use it anyway they want, including video. Really, you own the song and you are the copyright holder? Hmmm, that is amazing…show me your copyright with YOUR name on it. When you purchase music from iTunes, you are just buying the license to listen to the music, not redistribute in any way.

As for copy and pasting other people’s written content…didn’t we all learn in about 3rd grade not to do that? If you weren’t taught that then thank your school system for being crappy. Even I learned that in my little BFE backwoods public school.

Now that most of you have had a good laugh because you have been ask all these same questions and may not have been taken seriously when you tried to explain why they can’t steal shit…

We now have backup from a real attorney that also says you can’t just use anything you find online. Take that you nonbelievers!

Next time you get ask about using an image, song, video clip or written piece that someone else owns…send them to this video and then they can do what they want and possibly pay the price if they don’t listen!

Sara F. Hawkins was kind enough to share some legal information with us about Copyright Laws!

Sara includes a Disclaimer - ****LEGAL DISCLOSURE: This conversation is for information purposes only and is not intended as legal advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G4pBKMXUOY

So now that I have ranted and you have watched the video…what part did you think was super valuable to you and your community?

Oh just so ya know…getting a DMCA is a royal PINA!

Getting a copyright strike on YouTube is also a PINA, but neither are as depressing as getting lawsuit notice with a huge bill attached!

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

JessMaynard

Re: Misusing Copyrighted Content Can Cost You

Unread post by JessMaynard » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:26 pm

This is such an incredibly important conversation!! So glad we have such great resources at our fingertips!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:01 pm

NO, no, no, no, no, and $*^#(@* NO!

Haha!!!!

This really is no laughing matter though. It can be so expensive as in the example that Sara gave in the video. Some of these claims could literally shut down a small business or entrepreneur. Just ONE claim could shut you down financially. To me, it's so not worth it. I'm thrilled that Sara keeps coming back and keeping us informed on legal matters and allows us to make better educated decisions.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:08 am

I've been working on some stuff and wanted to find some royalty free images. Sara had mentioned that the US Gov't has load of them for public use. I decided to go on the hunt. One of the colleges actually created a pdf file that lists all the sites in one place! Yay!! Here's the list of most (if not all) the royalty free US Government photos.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:55 am

We have used Government images at times...keep in mind that SOME do require you to credit the person who took the image, so check for that even on .gov sites.

If you want an idea of other places with images yo can checkout the ones listed from years ago to see if you can find some other sites that fit your needs - Looking For Images

As you can guess by the date on that post, we have looked for a lot of images! LOL

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Yes, there are some you still have to credit the photographer! It's always good to double check and make sure you don't get busted!

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com