Content Distribution: Third Party or Your Own Blog?

Articles about writing and publishing tips, techniques, ebooks...
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Content Distribution: Third Party or Your Own Blog?

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sat May 07, 2016 4:35 pm

Social media has changed how we post and where we post. Now, I can't speak to where we were 10, 15 or even 20 years ago with content, but I know a few people... ahem, Sheryl, Brad.... who can. Last year, we started this forum for a few different reasons. One to give business owners a place to post their content (rather than trying to maintain a blog), to be part of something bigger than themselves.

We keep reading and seeing more and more bigger sites and brands start to move away from their own blogs because the expense to maintain a blog can get out of control. I know many business owners who only post on Linkedin Pulse, Medium or Quora which leads me to this article on Marketing land about posting your content on a much larger eco system than your own blog. A few of the points made in this Marketing Land article really hit home for us.

1. Brands and their readers have become platform- and website-agnostic. Third-party marketing channels are replacing owned marketing channels
2. Tomorrow’s successful content marketing campaigns will happen on third-party distribution platforms instead of owned ones.
3. Had we built our blog on Medium, we’d be part of a larger ecosystem. There is no newsletter readers have to join. The community already exists.
4. I believe that content marketers will be willing to sacrifice owned media and continue transitioning to third-party channels if it allows for access to a larger readership, intuitive UI, faster load times, cheaper design and a more consistent reading experience — especially when the switching costs are practically nil.
The fact that a deep-pocketed publisher like The Ringer and a small startup like Free Code Camp can both use Medium as their website or blog should make anyone in content marketing stand up and take notice.
What are your thoughts about posting your content on third party sites as the trends continue to change toward content distribution?

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: Content Distribution: Third Party or Your Own Blog?

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Sat May 07, 2016 4:56 pm

It looks like LinkedIn is looking to create Instant Articles to compete with Facebook. I think content distribution is going to get really interesting!

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com