Fast Fashion~not so funny

Fashion, Beauty and Wearable Tech
JessMaynard

Fast Fashion~not so funny

Unread post by JessMaynard » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:08 am

Fashion is something I am so passionate about~but the evils of fast fashion is something so many people don't know about. In fact, in my women's boutique I constantly overhear people commenting on my high prices or saying why is this so expensive. I think they think I charge more because it's a tourist town or this is a fancy boutique. Both of these assumptions are incorrect & make me a little sad.
So I bring to you this video. I love John Oliver for his ability to educate while using humor in a way that shows the ridiculousness of a situation. In this segment I really feel like he has captured something so many people don't really have a second thought about; WHO MAKES YOUR CLOTHING? & WHY IS THAT SOOOO CHEAP?? (I am yelling with my caps lock ;))
Making small steps away from what can be sometimes abusive is so crucial & ask yourself next time:
WHY IS THAT SO CHEAP??
Watch this, laugh & learn!
https://youtu.be/VdLf4fihP78

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Sheryl Loch

Re: Fast Fashion~not so funny

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:17 pm

Ok, I laughed at 64 items in a year...I haven't bought that many clothing items in the last 5 years combined.

As far as the overseas shops/factories...it is a shame that people will not be a bit worried about how the clothes are made nor the conditions in which the people work. They will make up self serving reasons why it is ok.

People will scream and go crazy on Twitter about lots of things...as long as it doesn't hit their wallet or effect their lives in a negative way. Considering that people had fits when it was suggested that low income kids could do jobs at a school to earn money, you would think they would have fits about other kids "being forced to work".

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:04 am

Exactly Sheryl! Thanks for checking this out and for your thoughts. The thing is they simply don't think about it~It really is one of my goals to get people to switch their thinking from why is ethical clothing so expensive to why is this so cheap when looking at certain items & it looks like I can call you a mission accomplished! Yay!!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:36 pm

I remember in the 90's when the sweatshops were a HUGE issue, but like everything else it gets swept under the rug. I could definitely do a better job of paying attention to where my clothes are sourced and made. I'm with Sheryl. I don't buy a lot of clothes, but I do buy more than she does. :)

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:08 pm

It is something to think about, I just encourage people to think "why is that so cheap". The answer isn't always a good one!
That said switching over one piece at a time is a great way to get started- made in the U.S. or fair trade is a great way to start. I'm not saying there aren't other countries that aren't responsible but in the U.S. we know there are labor laws in place.

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:50 pm

Jess, do you have a list of companies/brands that are made in the US or are fair trade?

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:18 pm

I don't really have a list but if they have paid for that certification of fair trade, it will be advertised on their website. I can tell you about my brands: I carry Indigenous, Threads for Thought, Nomads HempWear, Blue Canoe & Yala in my eco lines and the Made in US I carry some wholesale only lines-so you will have to find them on my social media or website then Angelrox (awesome & versatile by the way).

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

MicheleJennae

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:15 pm

Funny...not funny. Funny video for a not so funny situation.

Jess, you are awesome for standing behind your vision. Thanks for a great share.

Michele Jennae
Sowing Seeds of Serendipity

www.artuitivecoaching.com