Sometimes you just need an inspirational quote (resource)

Articles that will motivate us all!
Marisa Goudy

Sometimes you just need an inspirational quote (resource)

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:04 am

I have a love/hate relationship with inspirational quotes. Once upon a time I actually wrote an ebook about how everyone needs to go on an inspirational quote diet because it's just not ok to draw on spiritual masters and great world leaders to fill your Twitter stream. And yet, quotes can uplift and speak to someone at just the right time, so they have their place.

Today, I am working on an article for a client about creativity, specifically about how energy healing a co-creative process and a great way to explore your own creativity.

The magazine needs a few quotes from well-known thinkers to ground the piece, so I was was grateful to find this collection of quotes: http://skinnyartist.com/150-amazing-quo ... tive-soul/

(I'm giving them a pass on using the word "amazing" - especially in a blog post title... That is one word that has been used to death and has become tragically meaningless.)

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

krangara

Re: Sometimes you just need an inspirational quote (resource)

Unread post by krangara » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:47 am

WOOHOO - I enjoy quotes!

But I especially enjoyed your observation about the word 'amazing.' I had the same thought five minutes ago - spooky ;)

I am guessing WIlliam Zinsser, author of On Writing Well, has something to do with my sudden distaste for an old favorite. Amazing feels meaningless now!

Thanks for a lovely share, Marisa #HUGS
Kitto

Live without inhibition, love without restriction, laugh without hesitation - you are an inspiration to all! So smile and watch others curve their lips upwards too! ;)

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:46 am

I love it & a lot of these are short. I have a chalkboard sidewalk sign outside my boutique and we put fun, inspiring, encouraging quotes out there for people to enjoy as they walk the town.

It has been wonderful to see people actually slow down their normal fast pace to take a second to read it. We as a culture don't slow down enough and I love to see it. The best is when they call out to their friend behind them and say~Hey did you see this. Makes me happy! Sometimes they come inside to shop, sometimes they don't but that isn't the point of the quote, the point of the quote is to the same as this forum to reach, connect and uplift the world around me!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Marisa Goudy

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:58 am

Kitto - here's a quote that may help you cut those "amazings" (and those "verys"):

Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very";
your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.
-- Mark Twain.

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Marisa Goudy

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:00 am

Jessica-
I love that! Quotes have become such a part of the online world, they may lose their place in the offline world. Walking down the street is exactly when you have time to process them and apply them to your own thinking, rather than just consume them as part of a "wisdom binge" that never really fills you up.
And what a perfect way to show what your business stands for!

marisagoudy.com

krangara

Unread post by krangara » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:49 am

Jess - LOVE!

Marisa: haha, I do love Mr. Twain's quote. I am also developing an aversion to: ergo, therefore, hence, as a result - lol

Live without inhibition, love without restriction, laugh without hesitation - you are an inspiration to all! So smile and watch others curve their lips upwards too! ;)