Family Terrorism

Articles about Parenting, Family Life, Homeschooling...
Kristin Drysdale

Family Terrorism

Unread post by Kristin Drysdale » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:50 pm

Courage to Be Heard

2015 Australian of the Year, Rosie Batty, recently suggested that the term "Domestic Violence" ought to be changed to "Family Terrorism" in order to garner more government support and funding. With statistics showing that violence within the home is responsible for taking more lives than international terrorism and displacing more persons from their homes than any natural disaster, I believe that this change is necessary and just.

It is not surprising that Irish Fitness blogger, Emma Murphy, gained so much support through sharing her story of courage in a Facebook video share recently. As more people gain understanding of "why she doesn't just leave," even more people are gaining courage to speak out and let their stories be heard.

The key to remember here is that in order for families to heal, we need to recognize the roots of Family Violence and celebrate each survivor - whether they be male or female.

Violence doesn't just happen in a vacuum. It begins in the home. And like a bad gene, it gets passed on from one generation to another until someone has the conviction to cut off the inheritance. It takes just as much bravery to be an abuser and ask for help, as it does for the "victim" to walk away. Family togetherness is always the objective; safety must come first.

Emma is just at the beginning of her healing journey - and she is fortunate to have friends and family who love her that she can turn to. Not every person has such lovely resources. These are the voices I hope to lift up - and together - Emma, myself, and maybe even you - we will raise awareness so the Violence can eventually stop.

Stop the Cycle of Violence. Lift up your voice. Feel the power of courage.
[/i]

Fitness Blogger Posts Heartbreaking Video To Inspire Others To Stand Up To Domestic Violence

~Kristin Drysdale

Kristin Drysdale

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:23 pm

How terribly heartbreaking! How brave to stand up & for posting this video. So often people feel like it's just them and don't leave, don't tell others. I was thrown against the wall after years and years of verbal abuse by my former husband. I will always remember the look on my mother's face and her say "Jess, why didn't you tell us" She was heartbroken that she wasn't there for me then.

I also got to a point in our break up that I said to myself~I don't want my son to think this is okay. I held fast to that & pray others see this and have the courage to get help from family or wherever they can find it because no one deserves that ever!!
Thanks for sharing Kristin!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Kristin Drysdale

Re: Family Terrorism

Unread post by Kristin Drysdale » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:08 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with overcoming adversity, Jessica! The deafening silence is one of the most imperative things we need to acknowledge as a global society. Only when persons can speak up for themselves, their children, others who suffer directly and indirectly - will we even begin to understand the full scope of what violence has done to our social structure.

The positive thing is, though, that we are moving toward a more supportive infrastructure in which support services are being added and survivors are learning to begin productive lives again - some are even learning a whole new way of life. Statistically speaking, our world has come along way out of the darkness of Domestic Violence since just twenty years ago.

With every voice we lift up - I believe that brave energy spreads to another person. Thank you so much for magnifying your part in this, Jessica❣

~Kristin Drysdale

Kristin Drysdale

JessMaynard

Re: Family Terrorism

Unread post by JessMaynard » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:56 am

So glad to do it, beautiful Kristin.
I saw a quote by Patrick Stewart about how he saw domestic violence as a child and the reaction of authority figures (see this pin https://www.pinterest.com/pin/570620215261864298/) and it tugged at my heart and speaks to exactly where we have been and where we are going! You are right it is so far from 20 years ago. The amazing thing is he speaks to both sides of it, in so many cases! Watch this, gave me chills and really shows, in my opinion, a wonderful way toward resolution. He doesn't demonize anyone but speaks to the pain that both parties are currently and probably had been through in the past, leading up to violence and addresses both issues with groups that he supports. I love his attitude about it, not victim and demon but victim and victim!

https://youtu.be/TqFaiVNuy1k

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY