Why do you want to make videos?

Articles about Audio, Podcasting and Video Tips, Tools and Tutorials
Sheryl Loch

Why do you want to make videos?

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:35 pm

One of the 1st questions I ask people I meet with is; “Why do you want to make videos?”

This can bring a variety of answers that is for sure. Many times it is based around what they want as an end result such as to make more sales, get their own tv show, get their name known…all things that relate to them getting a payout.

While getting a payout is great, trust me, most people want a payout, but there needs to be more to it.

When someone has a mindset of how they will prosper, they tend to be hard to work with in the sense that they will make videos for themselves.

Why would that be a bad thing?

Well, I can tell you from experience that many of those people do not do as well on YouTube because they can’t draw in the audience they want or need.

Their videos tend to be more “look at me” and the viewers are not that excited about “looking at them”…the viewer gets very little if anything out of it.

These are the types of videos that no matter how much I optimize, they won’t build views. That is because I can get some search clicks, even some related clicks, but the viewer retention time is so low that they fall in rank. As soon as viewers figure out that the video has nothing for them…they click off to another video.

So what that means is a shitty video will not build an audience…

When I ask “Why do you want to make video’s?” I am looking for answers that tell me you want to do something for the viewers 1st and foremost. Once we figure out what you can offer to a viewer, then we can work on how to best get that to the viewers. Because to build an audience, you need to be giving 1st!

What to keep in mind when planning your video strategy...

You have to follow the golden rule of entertain and/or educate!

If you have a viewer first mindset, then we can get somewhere, but there is no target audience for a “look at me” only video.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: Why do you want to make videos?

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:44 pm

When I started this community and YT channel back in 2013 I wanted to help other business owners, specifically women. I had seen so many smart, educated women get scammed and taken to the cleaners because they did not know enough about certain key elements of their business and the people they were hiring were screwing them for just that reason. They didn't know.

In business, we know what we know...same in life. What we end up doing is either learning what we need to learn to get something accomplished or we have to hire an "expert" in that field to get the work done for us. When we hire the wrong person, we end up losing money and time and causing ourselves more stress and heartache. I wanted to fill a need. I knew that I could find honest, trustworthy, resourceful experts that women in business could come to and receive expert help and advice from someone they knew would not take their money and run.

It's been a learning process on my end as well to find these experts. Part of the process is researching these experts, get referrals about them, find relevant content that is useful to business owners and really dig deep to learn more about who they are and what they do. We've had a few flops over the years, but overall we've found some really great subject matter experts that have come through and given so much information away to our audience. It's been tremendous.

Personally, I've never really cared about being on camera. What is really exciting for me is that in 2016, I get to be behind the scenes more. Still doing a lot more research and vetting of experts, but now we get to really highlight some of these experts and their knowledge on a much larger scale. If we can help just one business do something better or saved one business owner the heartache and stress that comes from losing thousands of dollars, then we have totally succeeded in our mission.

** A quick note that Sheryl and I find interesting....although our community is/was women focused, we have a larger percentage of men that watch our videos each week.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com