Periscopes are not just for submarines anymore

Articles about Audio, Podcasting and Video Tips, Tools and Tutorials
JessMaynard

Periscopes are not just for submarines anymore

Unread post by JessMaynard » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:36 am

To me a meerkats are a little otter looking thing and periscopes are how you see when your submarine is under water, right? Well NOT anymore!
Video in business is hot, we know that YouTube is a great place to be and promote your business and every social media platform seems to be rewarding businesses that have gotten on the video band wagon but live streaming video is the newest arena. Mia Voss addresses some concerns and gives some great tips for success in the Meerkat & Periscope world in her article Periscope & Meerkat – It’s not just for Millennials
I would love to have people reply with their usernames so we can connect! I am on Meerkat so far and my business can be found @nouricheboutiqu

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: Periscopes are not just for submarines anymore

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:03 pm

I'm just not sold on live streaming yet. Everyone that I have seen do it is scattered and unorganized. While the engagement factor is awesome, it leaves viewers feeling a bit ADD watching it and trying to keep up with the dialogue between the shoutouts.

I think live streaming is here to stay. I'd like to see marketers/brands find a better way to implement it into their business model.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:13 am

Ok, I am going to LOL...LOLOLOLOLOL!

Live streaming has been around a while and people were making money with sponsors since before these new "OMG Live stream" people were even on a video.

I took a class in 2008 that was all done through Ustream. Ustream got started in 2007 and for a good while was the place to be. One of the channels I remember well was a puppy cam...yes it watched puppies all day and even had sponsors who paid to have a sign in the puppy area. It had tons of people watching all day.

We also got Justin TV in 2007 and while I didn't go there as often, people used it.

Twitch TV for gamers to live stream came out in 2011 and is still going strong. So strong that YouTube has made changes to their live streaming to try and get users over (note all the new YouTube for gamers stuff).

Youtube has had live streaming for a good while, but it was a bit more complicated than the sites above. Now they have caught up with HOA's being easy.

So I know as far back as 2008, live streaming was being used...just that these "new" marketers hadn't grasp it. LOL

To use live streaming effectively, they have to keep focus and remember that it should be treated as a video. They have to keep in mind that they are basically having a conversation with "X" amount of people all in different rooms. And the focus should be on the viewer not on the "oh look at me".

Some of the best marketers in the world have used live streaming and these new people should take notes of how they did it, because most of the new people I see using it are just putting out a useless stream.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:10 pm

Sheryl just dropped the mic and exited stage left! That was awesome.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:06 am

As someone who has a brain bubbling with video strategy, all this input in so valuable! I cannot put a price tag on it~anything Sheryl says is useless, well I will be careful how much I bank on it! So interesting how it all comes back to focus on the viewer not the "look at me"! I don't want to spend too much time wasting time!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:20 am

It's smart to listen and evaluate. In the end you have to make the best decision for your business and your audience.

When a new shiny tool comes to the market I like to sit back and pay attention to how people are using it. What do I personally not like about it? What others love about it? What will my clients use this for? Is it smart to incorporate it into my overall marketing strategy or business strategy?

There are lots of questions to ask to make sure it will be effective. We don't have time to waste these days.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

krangara

Unread post by krangara » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:41 am

WOWZA Sheryl! I was actually waiting for YOUR inputs on Periscope, so thank you for that googly ;)

I was never a video person, so, barring those auto-play videos on Facebook and Criminal Minds/Indian Shows on YouTube, I don't seek out videos.

But I agree: live streaming is not a new concept, but an old concept can acquire a shiny package and become popular!

I have been impressed with some Periscope users - one person on Facebook invited her group to join her in morning workout sessions, another one offers instructional videos...so there is potential!

Live without inhibition, love without restriction, laugh without hesitation - you are an inspiration to all! So smile and watch others curve their lips upwards too! ;)