Should You Repost/Duplicate Your Content?

Articles about Website Development, Design, Tools and Tips
MicheleJennae

Should You Repost/Duplicate Your Content?

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:01 pm

I've heard it's bad, and I've heard that it's not really THAT bad, and that after a period of time it matters less.

We all want to maximize our content for branding purposes I HOPE, but duplicate content might not help like you think it might, AND there ARE penalties by google.

FINALLY, I found the definitive and data-driven answer! I would also love to hear your thoughts/experiences!!

https://www.quicksprout.com/2014/11/03/ ... -websites/

Michele Jennae
Sowing Seeds of Serendipity

www.artuitivecoaching.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: Should You Repost/Duplicate Your Content?

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:59 pm

I don't know, but now I want to know! We definitely need to do this as a weekly topic soon!

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:59 am

You can do whatever you like with content on your site...just do NOT copy and paste the description on a YouTube video into another site or someone gets very angry! ;-}

I don't do copy and paste of articles...the stronger site that holds that content will rank and some of us do not have the most powerful site, so we are basically giving our search traffic to another website.

Same with duplicate images...I never use a stock image on my site if I want the page to possibly rank.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:52 am

Ooooo, this is good stuff. I bet people don't even think about this until it's too late sometimes. I like the articles options and I was taught having a guest posting with a link back to your site was a good thing to do so I already knew that but it sounds like I don't want to have the same content on my site too~takes a win-win and nullifies it.
Thanks for sharing ladies & great reply Sheryl- the stronger site will always win out & we don't want that!!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Iva Ignjatovic

Unread post by Iva Ignjatovic » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:33 am

Couple days ago I ran into this article: Duplicate Content Is A Myth. Here Are 9 Cases That Prove It! https://blog.ahrefs.com/duplicate-content-myth/ it has some great (real) examples and from what I've seen so far, lot of people duplicate their content and all I see is that they benefit from it.

MicheleJennae

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:38 am

As a former publisher of an online magazine, I would often get article submissions that were duplicates of their own blog posts. I personally didn't have a problem using it and linking back to them, but Google cares. Our submission guidelines required original content.

I also wanted to be able to maximize my own content, by writing a blog post and publishing that same post on LinkedIn, but based on this article that's not a good idea either. Better to repurpose content or post different articles in different places.

Iva, I will check out your article too. Thank you.

Michele Jennae

Marisa Goudy

Unread post by Marisa Goudy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:26 am

I'm so happy that everyone is putting their heads about this tough and important topic. One question/concern... the article on QuickSprout is from November of 2014. Have things changed in the Google-sphere since then?

Writing Coach and Copywriter for Professionals Who Make Life More Beautiful, Bearable, and Bold
marisagoudy.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:37 am

I'm on the hunt to find someone who can talk about this topic for our weekly broadcast.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:18 am

Lany, Jerry West or Leslie Rohde...

Jerry does things on the edge of black and white hat SEO...he may do blackhat (but I would never say that).

When I was in the Marketers BrainTrust with Leslie and Dan Thies, they talked about true duplicate content only being content that is posted on your own site and it was not dup if posted on other sites. This was because the coding was so different from site to site that Google would see it as different. Not sure that still applies as Google gets smarter about those things every day.

While Jerry would probably say - not to repost content anywhere else. Even images that are not original!

But no matter which way you look at it...Google is ONLY going to rank 1 site for a dup post. Could you posting a dup article on another site still get you traffic even if it out ranks the original post on your own site...sure if people click through after reading the article and visit your site. But, if that is how you are driving traffic, then why have it on your own site to start with?

As far as guest blogging, you just have to do your research and make sure the site is reputable and in the same niche...you also want high traffic or you will get no click throughs.

Now Ann Smarty owns MyBlogU and it was a blog post sharing type of site, so you could find guest posters and places to be a guest poster. She had some issues with one of the Google Updates, but I don't remember the details, but seems it was a dup/low quality issue.

That should give you some starting points. It is way to early for my brain to be fully functional.

No matter how hard you look for people to ask about dup content, you will find people on both sides of the fence.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

MicheleJennae

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:30 am

Marisa Goudy wrote:I'm so happy that everyone is putting their heads about this tough and important topic. One question/concern... the article on QuickSprout is from November of 2014. Have things changed in the Google-sphere since then?
Great question Marisa. I noticed that too! The article that Iva posted Duplicate Content Is A Myth. Here Are 9 Cases That Prove It! is much more recent (just last month) and references the QuickSprout article.

I think Sheryl is on the right track in suggesting multiple peeps who can address this from their perspective. I guess the answer wasn't definitive. Ha ha ha!
Last edited by MicheleJennae on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michele Jennae

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:39 am

Sheryl, ok...I know we've been talking about those guys. I guess it's time for us to reach out and see if they'll come on and chat with me.

Michele...LOL! Check out the How To's in this forum and you can come back and fix your BB Code.

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Sheryl Loch

Duplicate Content FAQ's with Google

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:46 am

Ok, some of you have heard me rant on a few of the things in this video that is about Duplicate Content. For those of you who haven’t had the pleasure of hearing me rant, sorry you will just have to listen in with John Mueller of Google Switzerland. Sure, he isn’t ranting, but he will have to do ;-}

I have time stamped the questions to make it easier for you to find just what you need. Sadly it would be a lot of trouble to link the times, so you will have to find the time on the video yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxWo4ttPgAc

Here we go…..

Do most websites have some duplicate content?

Can your tags cause duplicate content?

If you have your site in one language and also have translations…is that considered duplicate content?

What about content in apps?

Are press releases or other syndication considered duplicate content?

4:51 Then it goes to a drawing showing you how web search happens and what happens with duplicate content. Easy enough even I can understand.
It seems he says that when they see duplicate content, they try to save resources by not crawling and storing it?

He does say they don’t keep duplicate copies, they only need to save 1 (HINT – This is why I say NOT to copy and paste your YouTube descriptions onto other places because Google will keep the copy that leads to YouTube and toss out the one you may have on your site…meaning you lose traffic).

7:33 Duplicate content in search results!
Listen for the fact that a block of text is the same a crossed multiple pages…like product descriptions! (Or your damned video descriptions or About pages…yes I am pounding this)

8:23 While duplicate content is not a penalty, it can still cause you problems!
Look at the point of “We might pick “un-preferred” URL to Show!

10:00 What about duplicate content penalties?

Scraper sites…I hate these sites and have reported them to their host to be removed.

Article spinning….Do people even still do that?

Doorway pages…also not done so much anymore, at least I don’t think they are.

11:02 How to recognize duplicate content.
This is pretty self-explanatory once you listen to it.

12:18 How to handle Affiliate/shared or syndicated content.
For our affiliate sites, we have unique content with very little copied description.

13:35 How NOT to handle duplicate content problems.

Should you use Robots.txt to block the content?

Should you just do a shitty rewrite (think article spinning)?

What about the URL removal tools?

16:06 How do you fix duplicate content issues?

This may be over some people’s heads and that is OK, just listen and I am sure you will catch on as you will hear webmasters and SEO’s talk about this and you will at least have a little knowledge.
----- For more info ---
duplicate content site:google.com/webmasters
duplicate content site:googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com

19:08 Starts Q&A about Duplicate Content.

1st Question - Dealing with ecommerce sites where 1 product may fall into multiple categories. (Using rel=canonical)

For reference - This article describes how you can use canonical URLs to improve link and ranking signals for content available through multiple URL structures or via syndication. -- https://support.google.com/webmasters/a ... 39066?rd=1

21:53 How does Google look at content when the original owner may be a small site and then it is reshared by a larger site?

How can location also play a part in what shows in the SERP’s?

24:12 Is there a percentage of copied content that triggers Google to see it as Duplicate?

What can you do to help your ecommerce site (that uses dup descriptions) stand out?

Does where the text bock is located on the page matter?

28:06 More about using a Cononical tag on ecommerce sites.

28:32 What to do when Google picks up pages from your CDN.

29:27 Using NoIndex and NoFollow on Site Search Pages

29:46 Will pages marked NoIndex immediately get dropped from the SERP’s?

30:13 How to handle an ecommerce site where you have 1 product in different sizes listed as separate pages. (Why you should beware of using canonical tag on these pages)

31:58 Using paginated sets on an ecommerce site

32:44 Is it considered duplicate content if you use an excerpt on a page that then leads to the full content?

33:40 What redirect should we use if we have duplicate pages on our site?

35:27 Using rel=”next”, rel=”previous” along with rel=”NoIndex”

36:25 OP ask – They have a baseball site and each player has his own page, most pages are similar as they have stats…will Google see these pages as unique or duplicate?

39:00 How to find out if our site has a duplicate content issue?

Hint – Just because Google is showing some shit sites with problems in the SERP’s, don’t think that it means yours should also be shown. Some crap always gets through.

40:30 Can you do internal linking to a page that you have NoIndexed or NoFollowed and if you do…what does Google do with it…? (Sorry, I don’t really know what they are asking…so I guessed)

41:29 Duplicate content penalties and blah, blah, blah (I must be getting tired)

42:43 Bought a new domain, uploaded content and it is flagged as pure spam!!! WTH?
HINT – Do research on a domain before you buy it, if it has been used for spam, you may want to pick a different one. Getting reconsidered can be a PITA!

44:47 Another question about having 1 product in different colors and/or sizes and it being considered duplicate content.

45:08 My site is getting served twice for certain queries, would it be better to have just 1 page and have it rank higher?

46:00 Category and tag pages being seen as duplicate content…

47:04 Does having duplicate content mean you will get a Panda penalty for being lower quality?

48:06 Having a search form on your website for different locations…How does Google handle it? (It sounds like the only way to find the content is by search form, but you just listen and see what you think they are saying).

Unrelated side note - The guy asking this question reminds me that I need to watch more Pablo Escobar. If he had a hat on backwards, pretty sure he is in the show.

51:39 Question not related to duplicate content, but asking about API.

56:13 Is there a way that Google can recognize 1st publisher?

Ok, this should answer some of your questions about duplicate content.
Keep in mind that John Mueller does work at Google and many will say that you should NEVER listen to anything Google allows to be told. So, take this info anyway you want to.

440 - Duplicate Content FAQ - P,Tum.png
440 - Duplicate Content FAQ - P,Tum.png (5 KiB) Viewed 2205 times

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com