Twitter Filters

Articles about Growth Hacking, Networking Tips and Tools
Sheryl Loch

Twitter Filters

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:31 am

Twitter announced that they would be allowing us regular people to have a couple of filters, so we can control what we see!

The 1st one is a filter so you only see notifications from people you follow! While that sounds handy to cut out spam and trolls…it also cuts out a HUGE part of the conversation.

If you are a brand and you are cutting out that many people from being easily seen when they are trying to connect…you are the loser!

The verified accounts have had this for a long time and that is why trying to play the game of mentions and get noticed by them, probably doesn’t work so well.

The 2nd new feature is a “quality” filter.

Twitter is deciding what quality is and who is posting quality.

It seems it may take out automated tweets and if that is the case then when you turn it on…you will see Twitter is a bone yard. Most brands and people use some type of automation.

Why you will still see automated tweets for now…

It says it does not filter people you follow…well then why would I see stuff if I don’t follow them. I seldom see automation that is from strangers.

If they broaden this to hide automated tweets all together, then you will see the bone yard…kind of like FaceBook and how they handle post from 3rd party apps!

Oh my, is Twitter heading into censorship?

Is Twitter going to be another FaceBook were you have to pay to play…we know they need to do something but is this the right route?

Reference – Twitter Filters

UPDATE -

You are automatically opted in to one of the filters! So, here is a video to show you where to find the filter settings on Twitter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukBwgY8BX1Y
Twitter Title 1603811.png
Twitter Title 1603811.png (85.85 KiB) Viewed 4674 times

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Kirstin Hancock

Re: Twitter Filters

Unread post by Kirstin Hancock » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:55 am

So what does this mean for businesses like mine? No-one that doesn't follow our feeds sees our posts! That is NOT the twitter I know! Will twitter start charging us? What's next?

Kirstin Hancock
Co-founder Blue Maestro
Inventor Pacif-i, the Smart Pacifier

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:29 pm

I think Twitter has struggled for a VERY long time to get users interested. Now, they have to find a way to compete and make money...both not as easy as it may sound.

Twitter also banned Milo for being "mean" or something and that started a shit storm of people having the victim mentality on Twitter. Some users want everyone who disagrees r says "mean" things banned now. So, I guess they are going with filters, but that will not stop trolling...just block people you don't like that continue to harass you.

Jason Calacanis has also been mentioned as saying Twitter should give all users the same filters that verified accounts get. Not sure if this played a role in the whole thing.

All social media will be pay to play - you are a tiny fish in a huge pond and these sites will only cater to the accounts that can bring them in users and revenue...all others will pay!

Just like I mentioned in the post Instagram Rolls Out Business Pages Nothing is done for users...it is done for shareholder profit!

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:32 am

Some people have reported that since the filers came out...they have noticed a big change and are not happy. Seems the filter may not be to good at deciding hat is quality.

Pretty sure Twitter doesn't care...they just had to "give" users something to make it seem like they were helping.

I think a good bit of this came about because people are saying they are bullied on Twitter and there is hate speech. But, how does Twitter determine hate speech when some cry hate speech anytime you disagree with them. They also get "triggered" when you reply to them even with links and facts that correct them.

Soon, Twitter will ban EVERYONE and call it a safe space! LOL

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:24 am

This seems to have dried up and no one is talking about filters and many have no clue they are even there. Just the big guys using them I think, so they don't get notifications from all the "little people".

I don't think this was the "Big Deal" that Twitter hoped fr in getting people back on.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com