Are you a lazy engager?

Articles about Growth Hacking, Networking Tips and Tools
Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Are you a lazy engager?

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon May 09, 2016 8:56 pm

Do you find yourself scrolling through your social media streams (no matter which platform) and just liking posts, but not really commenting?

Guilty much???

Alright, alright we have all been there and probably are there on a daily basis, but here's a thought....

What if instead of just scrolling through, you actually stopped at posts where fellow business owners are promoting their business, blog post, product etc and drop a comment and possibly even a share? Clearly, you can't do this for EVERYONE all the time, but what if you did it a couple of times a day or a few times a week. It might not seem like much to you, but do you know how much that friend will appreciate that share or comment?

It's proven on Facebook that comments and shares have significantly more value than just a simple like. If you start to dig deeper into the research, you will find the same goes for Twitter and Instagram too. In this article by WebProNews, they state:

According to the findings, there's a 72% chance that if a Facebook user sees a Media post referred from a Facebook friend interacting with it, the interaction was a comment, but if that person shared it, the percentage goes up to 99.8%. The numbers for brand pages are 28% for comments and 94% for shares.

In this article from Adweek, they state that comments have FOUR times the value of likes! FOUR TIMES!! That is HUGE!

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and Jess' video a few weeks back about how to help your Friend's Business really got me thinking. We live in a self serving social media space. We are told to push, push, push our content. Buy ads. Sell and sell some more. We have marketed our asses off and for many to no avail. Small businesses are still struggling to get organic reach or to make a sale off of social media, but the foremost Social Media EXPERTS keep telling business owners that they have to keep showing up on social.

Here's a thought...we all are in groups on Facebook; we all have business associates; we all know someone who owns a business: What if we all actually grew our following and made more sales by actually supporting each other. And by supporting each other, I mean what I said above... sharing and commenting on each other's posts and videos. Instead of your content looking so lame and forlorn by itself with no engagement, you would have 20 likes, 6 shares and 10 comments. Doesn't that seem SO much better?

Now imagine it growing and multiplying because now Facebook realizes that people like your content, so you have a 72% or 94% chance of getting your content seen on a larger scale.

Let's stop being lazy engagers and stop scrolling and start truly engaging.

What a concept!

Join us in our pledge to support and promote other business owners on social. Are you in? Let's do this together! Click the share button below and Tweet or post this to Facebook with the Pledge image! Let's start a movement!
440 - social_pledge.png
440 - social_pledge.png (183.98 KiB) Viewed 6372 times
https://youtu.be/hkROhFvdctc

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Brad West

Re: Are you a lazy engager?

Unread post by Brad West » Tue May 10, 2016 10:15 am

I totally understand your frustration this has been a subject I have been shouting about for years. Everyone is so into pushing their own stuff they really don't care about anyone or anything else. But here is a Hugh thing people are missing, when one comments on another persons post is is actually a mini ad.

Think about it especially on a forum or blog you get your name seen and your thoughts or questions read for others to see. When people are seeing you out there in the world they get to know you and trust you, or not. But they get to know you! The best marketing is exposure.

Don't Waste Time on Things that Don't Work
Live Life Large!

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Tue May 10, 2016 10:32 am

Let me throw a wrench in there tho, with all this "branded content" being against policy on FB. How do we make sure we don't get in trouble? I am leary to share too much to my own biz page.

Now for my personal page, I do have a few pages that I share all their stuff cuz they are my friends' businesses. I think I am a good friend to my biz friends!

I wonder sometimes if other business owner don't realize that power of helping each other out in that way, thus the reason that we continue to make the videos and write these forum posts & scream it from the roof tops~ Go Team! :D

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Tue May 10, 2016 12:41 pm

Think about it especially on a forum or blog you get your name seen and your thoughts or questions read for others to see. When people are seeing you out there in the world they get to know you and trust you, or not. But they get to know you! The best marketing is exposure.
Brad....this is totally what people are missing... the extra exposure on both sides! It really doesn't take that long to do a little something to promote and engage others on social and in forums like this. If business owners are already spending an allotted amount of time on social, they could easily spend an extra 5 minutes to engage and promote other business owners they are associated with. There is power in numbers!

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Tue May 10, 2016 12:49 pm

Jess, that is a bit of a wrench and I don't know the answer to that until we learn more about this part of the TOS. I think though that we can do it at least from our personal pages, but it is ideal to do it from our business pages. My personal thought based on what I have read is that we can share other business content as long as we are not affiliates or making money on it.

I think you are very, very good to your biz friends and are a shining example of what to do on social. Now if everyone could follow your lead. I think that people are completely missing how powerful this support and engagement is on social and even on forums.

We will continue to shout it from the rooftops until we have more people shouting with us!

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com

systemsavvy

Unread post by systemsavvy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:16 am

Taking the pledge! AND . . . just as important, I'm making a plan to implement! I've decided on Monday's to head out into social media land to intentionally find good content to share and promote! Guess what - this post is going to be one of them!!!

Make today productive, rewarding, and fun!

Lisa

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:56 pm

I love that Lisa! Yay! We need more women to take the pledge!

Lany Sullivan

lanysullivan.com