Twitter Images for Visually Impaired

Articles about Growth Hacking, Networking Tips and Tools
Sheryl Loch

Twitter Images for Visually Impaired

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:09 am

Twitter is making a huge update starting on Tuesday March 29, 2016. They are going to give users the ability to add descriptions of images they upload, so those with visual impairments will know what the image in the tweet is. Cool, eh?

It seems as if the mobile apps for IOS and Android will be the 1st to get this update, although it is not a forced update and you will need to go get it yourself.

3rd party apps will also be getting the update. But, I see nothing that says desktop site users will be able to add image descriptions. Maybe I am the only person in the world that still just pops on the site directly?

Oh well, everyone else will be able to add up to 420 character “alt text” to pictures. I know what you are thinking…”Holy shit, that is more characters than a tweet." Yes it is and I have a feeling that some will find a way to game these descriptions, especially if they are searchable.

Hmmm, I will need to check that out and maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned it…my brain is on over drive now as to how “someone” could use that to their advantage. (Insert evil laugh).

So you can see the official announcement from Twitter at Accessible images for everyone

Should we have a contest to see who finds the first image stuffed with keyword or profanity? The naked pics should be funny!

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: Twitter Images for Visually Impaired

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:31 pm

This is really cool. I grew up with friends who are blind and have a really good family friend that is blind. I was on a blab when it first came out and there was a blind young man who was a VERY active user over there. I think it's great that they are making more resources online available and accessible to those that are blind.

I for sure think that people are going to keyword stuff there alt text...puh-lease! If you thought of it so did the other 500 million people using Twitter! Ha!

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Kirstin Hancock

Unread post by Kirstin Hancock » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:18 pm

Technology is really enhancing the lives of the disadvantaged. This is another awesome example of inclusion! I just wish there were a few more ...like ramps onto buses and trains!

Kirstin Hancock
Co-founder Blue Maestro
Inventor Pacif-i, the Smart Pacifier

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:19 pm

We have ramps on buses here in the US. I'm not sure how trains are though. Do you not have ramps there at all?

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com