Think Before You Share That Meme

Articles about Growth Hacking, Networking Tips and Tools
Sheryl Loch

Think Before You Share That Meme

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:56 pm

We have all seen how easy it is to reshare a meme on Facebook or Twitter. You just click a button and BAM…you have just reshared!

Some memes are cute and funny while others are political or possible about racism, bigotry or other topics to stir up things.

The cute funny memes…well other than many are using stolen images (think copyright) they don’t usually make you look stupid.

But when it comes to many of the political, racial and religious type memes…they usually say something that people will take as fact when actually they may not be truthful at all. They are made by someone who wants to stir up hate and discontent. These people also know that others will just hit share out of emotion rather than using the brains the good Lord gave them to research the statement on the meme.

Yes, people will take advantage of laziness to spread their message as they sit back and laugh.

Look, most anyone who has Facebook/Twitter also has access to Google, so why aren’t people checking out these meme statements? I’m not sure, because it only takes a minute and that is a well spent minute to not spread crap.

Why would it matter if you are sharing these memes with false messages? Because it can cause people to not trust you.

People work hard to build up trust and to have a stupid meme ruin that is really not worth it.

I suggest before you reshare that “public service” meme, you make sure what it says can be backed up!

When you see a meme that you know is false, do you point it out to the person who shared it?

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

isha, just isha

Re: Think Before You Share That Meme

Unread post by isha, just isha » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks for this reminder, Sheryl.

I've pointed it out a few times, but it often ends in silly argument or my comment gets ignored.

When it's pointed out to me I'm thankful to the person who did the pointing. So to those people I feel happy to reciprocate.

~ Isha

PS My unusual username is a result of it having to be at least 5 characters :-D

Sheryl Loch

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:37 am

Oh Isha, so glad to see you!!!

I would also be glad someone pointed out the meme being false. You and I are more about spreading info that IS correct than letting our ego get in the way. Maybe that comes with age?

People do tend to either get upset or just not comment when it is pointed out that the meme is false, and that likely comes with them just feeling like we are trying to degrade them or something. But, I do it so they don't feel foolish by continuing to spread it. Learning something new is always good even it it means we have to be "wrong" 1st.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

Kirstin Hancock

Unread post by Kirstin Hancock » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:56 am

So this got me thinking...What is actually defined as a 'meme'? Should I review my practise on line too?

According to Net for Beginners A "meme" is a virally-transmitted cultural symbol or social idea, that is deeply offensive!

We should all think before we click! Thanks for reminding us to be responsible users Sheryl.

Kirstin Hancock
Co-founder Blue Maestro
Inventor Pacif-i, the Smart Pacifier

systemsavvy

Unread post by systemsavvy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:53 am

Great reminder!!!! Often I'll share "inspirational quotes" . . . and do NOT check to make sure the quote actually belongs to the person!

Make today productive, rewarding, and fun!

Lisa

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:40 pm

This is a really sticky situation. I'm glad to have people like Sheryl in my life to remind me of copyright laws and the high cost of them. Over the last 2 years I have become more hyper aware of what images I share online. Every once in awhile, one slips by me though.

Kirst, I had no idea that's what it meant! Thanks for that piece of info... I'll definitely be thinking more before clicking!

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:26 pm

Make sure you guys check out our legal video series with Sara F. Hawkins. She talk about the legal issues surrounding images and videos on social and SO much more...

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com