Did You Know That the Michelin Chef Rating Was Born From Tire Marketing?

Articles about Sales, Advertising, Email
MicheleJennae

Did You Know That the Michelin Chef Rating Was Born From Tire Marketing?

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:45 pm

I have just dived into a new book called The Next Evolution of Marketing by Bob Gilbreath, and he talks about how Michelin Tires published a FREE travel guide targeted to French car owners to build brand awareness for their tires. The guide grew so popular, they had to start charging for it, to re-instill its value, and it eventually led to the Michelin Star rating system for chefs?

I had NO IDEA!! But I do believe that offering something of value for free, that our customers would happily pay for if they understood the value, is a great way to build a brand/audience relationship.

I've written a post about it and you can read it here-->> What Does a Tire Company Have to Do With Top Rated Chefs?

i would love your thoughts

Michele Jennae
Sowing Seeds of Serendipity

www.artuitivecoaching.com

JessMaynard

Re: Did You Know That the Michelin Chef Rating Was Born From Tire Marketing?

Unread post by JessMaynard » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:20 am

I have to say knowing my customer is so so very key to what I do. I don't really give anything completely free~I have a loyalty/discount program and do social media giveaways etc. But on a day to day basis, I have to know what sizes, colors & styles to stock in my store. I have to know, am told by customers and I can easily observe if we are missing the mark.
I have some ideas like style guides, how to wear..., and things like that that could be given. Just need to get that into the strategy!!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

MicheleJennae

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:20 am

Jess, I think your business differs from an information business in that you can't just give away merchandise. Still I bet for every customer who walks in your door, you give away your expertise and knowledge in the form of recommendations, industry trends, feedback, product knowledge etc. There is VALUE in that! And style guides would be great giveaways. Remember, Michelin didn't give away their tires!!

Michele Jennae

MicheleJennae

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:29 am

Thanks Lany,

My daughter found a little booklet tucked in one of her library books. It's a little pet-training guide that apparently came in a bag of dog food. I can't find it at the moment but I think I recall that it was printed in 1952.

Not quite a Michelin story but still a great example.

Michele Jennae

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:44 am

Amazing the different little marketing tactics we can look back on and draw inspiration from. I love it.

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com

krangara

Unread post by krangara » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:50 am

OH my - this is MY kinda story! Thanks Michele #HUGS

I ENJOY leaning about the back stories of successful personal and business brands - woohoo!

Live without inhibition, love without restriction, laugh without hesitation - you are an inspiration to all! So smile and watch others curve their lips upwards too! ;)

MicheleJennae

Unread post by MicheleJennae » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:07 am

Lany, it's like we're getting back to old school and value. The internet has caused the fall of big interruptive advertising as people use Tivo and DVRs. Too much noise means we have to return to truly connecting with meaning, and that isn't the quickest path to a sale, but it can lead to better customer loyalty.

Thanks Kit! Hugs to you too. I am a voracious reader as I too love metaphors, backstories, inspiration from others etc. I bet we have that in common!

Michele Jennae

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:17 am

I prefer the old school methods because it really focused on the quality of service and customer experience. Quality is key....

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com