You Have 20 Seconds: An Elevator Pitch

Articles about Sales, Advertising, Email
krangara

You Have 20 Seconds: An Elevator Pitch

Unread post by krangara » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:17 am

"An elevator pitch is a brief, persuasive speech that you use to spark interest in what your organization does.
They should be interesting, memorable, and succinct. They also need to explain what makes you – or your organization, product, or idea – unique."

I find the term 'elevator pitch' amusing! LOL

For a long time, I thought these were pithy sales pitches that were delivered inside elevators :P It took me a while to realize that an elevator pitch is a succinct encapsulation of your purpose, priorities and unique service proposition that could be delivered anywhere. The What, Why, How of journalism apply here!

This article outlines the steps to craft a convincing elevator pitch

The six outlines steps are:
  • Identify your goal
    Explain what you do
    Communicate your USP
    Engage with a question
    Put it all together
    Practice
Do you have any other tips and/or tricks to enhance the efficacy of your elevator pitch?

Thanks
Kitto

Live without inhibition, love without restriction, laugh without hesitation - you are an inspiration to all! So smile and watch others curve their lips upwards too! ;)

Brad West

Re: You Have 20 Seconds: An Elevator Pitch

Unread post by Brad West » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:31 pm

OK now you got me thinking..........
Oooooh ya! I'm back.
In order to grow this community with the right people I think an elevator pitch would be great.

I am have been wondering what people think this community is about. Also what their expectations are for both what they want to get out of it and what they want to put into it. Without knowing this information we for one would know if we have failed in conveying our message and that could be fixed.

This information is invaluable to develop a great elevator pitch.

This would be awesome to grow your community!

Not trying to hijack the thread there is still this question to answer!
Do you have any other tips and/or tricks to enhance the efficacy of your elevator pitch?

Don't Waste Time on Things that Don't Work
Live Life Large!

JessMaynard

Unread post by JessMaynard » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:07 am

"Where do I start?" is always what I feel in that second when someone asks me what I do.
Yes, I sell clothes, I have a boutique but it is so much more to me BUT what is it to someone else is a great place to start (Identify the goal). Just like so much of what we do as business owners/marketers~it's about them not me.

The only part I question and even tho any sales training I have ever gotten says to rehearse this & have an engaging question, have it planned, know what to say. I personally don't know if I like the idea of and/or find myself in many situations where a rehearsed answer is going to fit. I actually know from personal experience that having a rehearsed response can bite me in the rear(I have stumbled over words trying to make my elevator pitch sound right :oops: )! What if the other person doesn't know their line in the practiced and perfected dialog I have engrained in my mind.

I feel much better knowing a lot about what I do, knowing why I am doing it, knowing how I serve others so I can have a real conversation. And engaging with a question, "Where do you shop?" "Are your clothes eco-friendly?"...do people talk this way?? I will keep it in the back of my mind tho, maybe someday I will find something that makes me feel comfortable.

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:30 pm

Having an elevator pitch is priceless in business. Brad is right; we need one for the community. I haven't come up with one yet. Maybe I can get the moderators to help create one! I love that idea!
krangara wrote:

One tip I learned long ago was to put a time limit on it...hence it's name, Elevator pitch. If you only have 30-45 seconds in an elevator with someone, how do you get your point across and make it memorable?

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com