I Hate the Sound of My Voice

Videos about Audio, Podcasting and Video Tips, Tools and Tutorials
Sheryl Loch

I Hate the Sound of My Voice

Unread post by Sheryl Loch » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:00 pm

We hear so many people say that they hate the sound of their own voice. This may keep them from doing videos or podcast that could help them get their message out there. What a shame that they would let something so silly stop them in their tracks.

I normally tell people to just get over it. Yeah, I tend to be blunt. But, if you don't like the way your voice sounds, then you should never talk again on a recording or in life. That voice on the recorder...is how others hear you when you talk to them any other time, so you should just stop talking.

In this video Shannon Hernandez gives some tips to help you get over it. His advice about just recording yourself often is HUGE!

As a kid, I had speech therapy and this meant that I was recorded constantly so I could hear the sounds for EACH letter in words. It was not a huge thing at the time as I started this at about age 5, so I had no clue about what the tone...was suppose to be or that others would care. I just concentrated on the sounds of letters and words.

Record yourself saying the "L" sound a billion times until you get it right and see if you care about "your voice". Then do this with each letter and sound over the next 5 years and you will understand why the sound of my voice on a recording never phased me. LOL

So for the rest of you that didn't have speech therapy - maybe these tips will be a better way to get over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXS828XsudU

ps. Some of us also develop a recording voice and a regular talking voice - recording voices are normally more enunciation focused than regular talking voice.

I watch YouTube videos.

Sheryl Loch. com

JessMaynard

Re: I Hate the Sound of My Voice

Unread post by JessMaynard » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:27 am

I always hated the sound of my voice too! I once had an employer tell me I have a great "phone voice". We had an intercom/phone system that we used a lot there. That helped!
I also have heard over and over that I sound like and have actually been mistaken for (even by my own siblings) my MOTHER! Now, I love that woman & love it!
These are really great tips & ideas for moving past that voice insecurity so you won't hold back your self or your business!!

Jess Maynard-Gilbert

Shop at Ava Grace Fashions Get a free SCARF TYING VIDEO E-COURSE: Your Style made EASY

Lany Sullivan
Site Admin

Re: I Hate the Sound of My Voice

Unread post by Lany Sullivan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:31 pm

When I was younger I wasn't a fan of how I sounded, but then I realized I can't change it so I accepted it. It is what it is and if you don't like my voice...too bad for you...stop listening to me. :D LOL!

Lany Sullivan
Management, Marketing, Events

lanysullivan.com